What are the goals of Section 809 Panel?
The goals of the Section 809 Panel, as outlined in the National Defense Authorization Act, include the following:
- Review the acquisition regulations applicable to the Department of Defense with a view toward streamlining and improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the defense acquisition process and maintaining defense technology advantage.
- Establish and administer appropriate buyer and seller relationships in the procurement system.
- Improve the functioning of the acquisition system.
- Ensure the continuing financial and ethical integrity of defense procurement programs.
- Protect the best interests of the Department of Defense.
- Eliminate any regulations that are unnecessary for the purposes described.
What is the National Defense Authorization Act?
This is an act authorizing appropriations for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel strengths, and for other purposes. The FY 2016 NDAA legislated the Section 809 Panel's existence.
If you would like to learn more about Section 809, go to p. 164 in the FY 2016 NDAA.
Were there any amendments to Section 809 in the FY 2017 NDAA?
Section 809 of the FY 2016 NDAA (Public Law 114-92), was amended by section 863(d) of the FY 2017 NDAA (Public Law 114-328). View the Section 809 Panel Statutory Charter, as amended.
Are the panel meetings open to press?
Press may attend the panel meetings only during open sessions. During closed sessions, the press will have to leave the room. If you have questions, please contact Shayne Martin at 703-571-3274 or send an email to Sec809@dau.mil.